Do you ever take a look at hibiscus flowers and wonder what they are good for besides giving everything an exotic and tropical flair? If you have indeed wondered about such a thing, then you will be very interested in knowing that hibiscus flowers have a lot of benefits of the body and can even give you the clear and glowing skin you have always dreamed of having.
This might seem like a tall order for a mere flower but to really understand what hibiscus can do for your health and skin, you have to take a look at its properties and what they can do for the body. If you want clear skin and you want to try something new and fresh to achieve your goal, read on and you might just want to give hibiscus a go.
Hibiscus for Acne
Hibiscus is mainly used as an ornamental plant since it produces the most luscious blooms in the most beautiful shades. Traditionally, the flowers were used to help people who suffered from loss of appetite, pain and swelling in the upper respiratory tract, stomach problems, colds, etc. In Egypt, they even make a nice, refreshing drink from the plant that they call “karkade.”
In other cultures, the flowers are used to help remedy problems with dandruff and stimulate hair growth. Why, they even use it to darken eyebrows while some cultures believe that it works best as an aphrodisiac. So you see, with all these other uses it really isn’t hard to imagine using hibiscus for acne problems.
Recent studies have shed more light into the benefits of hibiscus and the results are indeed something to be excited about. Not only does it show the potential to deal with illnesses and other health problems but it really does seem like it has the power to get rid of acne and prevent future breakouts.
Reason to Try Hibiscus for Acne
- One thing you really need to know about hibiscus is that it has the same antioxidants that you can find in bilberry and other berries. They call this type of antioxidant “anthocyanocides” and it is extremely potent. If you have done your research on acne, you will know that they are inflammations and you will also know that antioxidants bring down and prevent inflammation in and out of the body.
- It acts as a natural remedy for hypertension which means that it automatically brings down stress. As you may very well know, excessive levels of stress can really do a number on your skin in the form of excess oil and acne breakouts.
- Women with menopause will love what hibiscus can do to remedy their symptoms and their acne. Studies have shown that hibiscus can reduce the incidents of hot flashes in the body as well as do away with acne brought on by rampaging hormones during menopause.
- If you suffer from bad acne breakouts and you have wrinkles as well, then try hibiscus since it also works as a sort of natural Botox. In fact, it is known as the Botox plant in some circles and for very good reason. The flowers contain Alpha-hydroxy Acids (AHAs) that increase the moisture in the skin and makes it more elastic. In addition, AHAs also help to exfoliate the skin and increase the turnover in the cells which results in fewer breakouts.
- The plant has astringent properties that make pores look smaller along with anti-inflammatory effects that bring down any swelling on the skin. Not only is this beneficial for folks who suffer from acne but also for people who have psoriasis and eczema.