One of the most common home remedies you can safely do at home is by having your own homemade anti-acne masks. Ingredients may range from those you can conveniently find in your kitchen to more specialized ones like bentonite clay for acne. If this is the first time you’ve heard of this product, you should read on to find out about the wonders it can achieve for your skin!
What is Bentonite Clay?
Also known as montmorillonite, bentonite clay is a natural clay mined from quarries, and can be used for beauty purposes, specifically for countering acne problems. It is similar to those mud packs you see in beauty advertisements, and it has positive effects especially for people who have oily skin. Although to some it may seem like using clay on the face is absurd, but this natural clay achieves positive results because of its inherent skin beautifying properties.
Benefits of Bentonite Clay for Acne
When mixed in with some water, bentonite clay has a highly absorbent reaction especially for the oils on your skin. Because of this, it lifts oil from the deeper layers of skin in a gentle and natural manner. When you saturate bentonite clay with liquid, the clay develops a mild kind of electrical charge which is what makes it highly effective in drawing out toxins from your skin. Since acne is caused by both toxins and excessive oil production among others, the effects of bentonite clay when applied as a mask helps reduce your acne breakouts. It also has mild astringent properties to help clarify your skin.
Bentonite clay absorbs toxins, oil, heavy metals, as well as other impurities which may not be thoroughly cleaned out by your regular cleansing products. It achieves a deep cleaning effect while retaining a gentle action on your skin. Bentonite clay for acne absorbs the impurities and binds them to the clay which prevents them from being reabsorbed back by your skin.
How to Use Bentonite Clay as a Facial Mask
You will have a spa treatment feeling when you use bentonite clay facial masks at home not only because it looks like those products used in the spa, but also because it leaves you feeling refreshed, as if you were pampered by professionals. Here’s how you can use it at home:
- Cleanse your face with a mild cleanser, especially if you have makeup on. This will allow the bentonite clay to reach deeper into your skin.
- Pat your face dry.
- Prepare your bentonite clay by mixing it with some water to achieve a thick but spreadable consistency.
- Using your clean fingers, apply the clay onto your face. Leave the areas around your eyes clear, and do not apply it on your lips as well.
- Pay particular attention to the T-zone which is the oiliest part or your face.
- Allow it to set for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it with some warm water to help break it down easier, and then splash your face with cool water ten times to minimize your pores.
After you pat your face dry, you will notice the effects of bentonite clay! You can use this twice a week as a facial detoxification, but be wary if it causes over drying and counter it with some moisturizer when that happens.