Getting tired of acne on your face? You needn’t spend much to remove those nasty zits. Natural remedies for this troublesome skin condition can be right in your kitchen! Did you know that you can use egg whites to prevent acne and those bad breakouts? It may seem strange to some, but here are the reasons why using egg whites to prevent acne work:
- Egg whites, when applied onto the face, can tighten pores. Tight pores can reduce oil production, and can eventually prevent acne breakouts.
- Albumin contained in egg whites keep the bacteria in acne in check and work to combat the worsening of acne.
- Egg whites also contain lysozyme which is an enzyme that digests the cell walls of bacteria—which leads to their death. Acne breakouts are then halted.
- Eggs are known to have proteins, and the egg whites can help the skin become healthier and more protected from acne by giving it an extra protein boost.
Now that you know of all the benefits from egg whites, what are the steps to use them for making acne disappear?
- Take a fresh egg and break it in a bowl. If you can, separate the yolk from the white by alternately scooping it out using the cracked egg shells. This way, you’ll only have the egg white on your bowl, ready for use.
- Tie your hair and wash your face with a mild cleanser to allow the egg white to get more contact with your skin.
- Keeping your hair tied, apply the egg white on your face. Try to apply it in a thin layer. Leave the areas near your eyes clean, and avoid your mouth as well.
- Once you’re content with the egg white mask, you should allow it to dry for 10-15 minutes. You need not time this procedure since you’ll know when you ought to remove the mask when you feel its surface is dry and tight.
- As tempting as it may be, don’t peel the mask off! Rinse it off with some lukewarm water.
Additional tips for using egg whites to prevent acne:
- Do this before taking a shower. It will be more effective if you can apply the mask down to your neck as well, and rinse it off with lukewarm water while showering.
- To make it an even more effective mask to counter acne, you can add a teaspoon of lemon juice to your egg white. Whisk the lemon juice to incorporate it thoroughly, and apply as instructed on your face. Doing this helps tighten the skin even more, and also helps fade acne scars. The antibacterial properties of lemon make it work well with egg whites to prevent acne.
- You can do this once or twice a week depending on the oil control need of your skin and the severity of your acne condition. Egg whites can dry the skin and be the solution especially for those who have oily skin. Remember not to use this remedy though if you have dry skin already! Only those with combination or oily skin should use this.