Skincare is not just an issue of vanity, but of overall health as well. Especially in the case of acne, its occurrence for both men and women of all ages has made it a general health concern. Different factors affect the growth of acne, especially if you compare men and women. More skin care products are available for women compared to men though, so it could be a bit of a challenge finding out how to prevent acne for men.
Despite the limited choices in skincare though, there are still a lot of ways to prevent blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and other signs of acne from showing up. Prevention is often just a matter of knowing what things to avoid and what routines you need to practice. Here are some tips you can follow on how to prevent acne for men:
- Lessen the stress. Men are often more active than women, sometimes making them more exposed to stress. Stress is a very big factor in acne breakouts especially because it affects the way you eat and sleep, further reasons for your skin to breakout. Stress also triggers your sebaceous glands to produce more oil, raising the probability of your pores to get clogged up with dirt and bacteria. Try to balance your schedule and leave some time out for serious rest and relaxation. This may be all that your skin needs to be clearer again.
- Shield yourself from the sun. Although exposure to the sun could have its own set of benefits, the disadvantages actually outweigh the good things. Especially for men who are active in outdoor sports, the constant exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause serious damage your skin cells. Always remember to put on some sunscreen every time you spend some time outdoors. Wearing clothing and other accessories that protect your skin from the sun could be a big help as well.
- Watch out for triggers. Sometimes, you just don’t realize that something specific causes your skin to breakout. Be sensitive to these things because this could be the key in finding out how to prevent acne growth. For some people, it’s the gluten found in wheat and other grains. Some also experience breakouts when they digest anything that has milk in it. Once you pinpoint what specific things cause your breakouts, try to find alternatives so that you could still prevent acne without having to deprive yourself of what you used to enjoy.
- Keep that razor sharp. When shaving, make sure that the razor you use is sharp enough to cut the hair completely without having to go through the same area a few more times. Using dull blades can cause skin irritation, and could lead to the growth of acne. While you’re at it, make sure that you keep it clean because poor maintenance of your razor is just as bad as poor hygiene.
- Consult an expert. Especially if your acne breakouts get really bad, you should consider consulting a skin expert. Acne treatment also happens on a case to case basis, depending on your skin type and the things that trigger your acne growth. There is always that chance that you need specialized treatment. So don’t let your acne get worse and find out what you can do about it now.
Knowing how to prevent acne for men can be quite a challenge considering the limited choices in skincare that are specific to men’s needs. But as long as you know what to stay away from and what to maintain, you should be able to keep your skin clear and healthy.