The word “antioxidant” is something you have heard of a lot of times. It is a buzz word when it comes to health, and where the skin is concerned, antioxidants play a huge role in giving you that desirable natural glow.
What are Antioxidants?
The body has free oxygen molecules which travel throughout your system and these “free radicals” steal away electrons from various cells. This causes permanent cellular damage. When your cells are damaged, your overall health suffers as well. Antioxidants stop this harmful action of free radicals and protect your body in a cellular level.
For acne in particular, antioxidants help counter this skin condition by supporting the health of your immune system and reducing cellular damage on your skin. With a good amount of antioxidants, you also suffer from less inflammation caused by acne.
Great Sources of Antioxidants
“Superfoods” are usually concentrated sources of antioxidants that can defend your body from cellular damage caused by free radicals. When you are troubled with acne, antioxidants can help reduce the risks of compromised skin healthy and also helps detoxify your system.
Herbal teas for acne are some of the most common sources of antioxidants which help counter breakouts. Made from natural ingredients such as the leaves, fruits, flowers, or even roots of the herbs, herbal teas for acne contain powerful antioxidants which promote improved skin health. These antioxidants include:
- Vitamin E – Particularly beneficial for skin health, vitamin E has antioxidant properties that also help lessen scarring and blemish formation.
- Vitamin C – Essential for the regeneration of skin cells, vitamin C prevents acne flare-ups caused by internal imbalance. It also helps promote cellular repair while helping protect the immune system.
- Vitamin A – Inflammation caused by acne can be avoided by having enough vitamin A from herbal teas for acne because it helps strengthen the immune system while improving skin health.
- Polyphenols – Usually found in teas, polyphenols have therapeutic effects on acne by reducing the breakouts and severity of this skin condition. Drinking 2-5 cups of tea a day can help achieve the therapeutic effects that it may have on your skin.
Herbal Teas to Counter Acne
Try the following herbal teas which can help reduce acne breakouts:
- Green tea – The most popular tea for acne, green tea made from freshly steeped tea leaves can not only relieve your stress, it can also give you clearer skin.
- Rooibos tea – If you know where to get high quality rooibos, you can have this and enjoy the antibacterial, antioxidant, and immune-boosting properties of this legume tea.
- Chamomile tea – Chamomile has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant effects which lessen the severity of acne breakouts.
- Spearmint tea – This refreshing tea helps counter acne by reducing the fat or oil production in the skin which may lead to sudden breakouts.
You can enjoy the herbal teas by drinking them or making use of them as your facial wash. One last tip: instead of throwing away used teabags, use them as an all-natural antioxidant mask!