The Aleurites moluccana, more commonly known as the Kukui nut tree, is a kind of plant that thrives in places with tropical weather such as Hawaii, the Pacific Islands, and some Southeast Asian countries including Malaysia and Indonesia. It was originally grown in Polynesia, but was brought to Hawaii by some seafarers. The word kukui means enlightened in the Hawaiian language; thus, making it the national tree of Hawaii. The tree can grow up to 30 feet high, with large, green leaves and small round kukui nuts. Its oil can be found moistly in its seed, and kukui nut oil can last for up to 14 months without direct exposure to heat.
The Benefits of Kukui Nut Oil for the Skin
Kukui nut oil, aside from being cheap, also has a lot of benefits in terms of skin care. It is used to smoothen out skin without leaving an oily layer behind. It is also used to help with various burns and wounds, and some people even attest that it can help relieve skin diseases like psoriasis and eczema. Of all the types of oil available, kukui nut oil is seen to be the most suitable for massage because of its calming effect. When added as an ingredient to any kind of soap, kukui nut oil can enhance both the creaminess of the suds and the soap’s nourishing effect.
Other Benefits of the Kukui Nut Oil Worth Knowing
- It can replace commercial conditioners. If it can work wonders for your skin, and it can also do the same thing for your hair.
- It can be used as an SPF. It has minimal effects though, but it is perfect for treating sunburns.
- It can help fade the appearance of stretch marks. Also, it can aid in the reduction of cellulite.
- Its meat can be used as an exfoliant. Exfoliating should be done at least once a week, and adding the meat of the kukui nut with other ingredients can help with the process.
- It is helpful for people with dry skin. Kukui nut oil can help replenish the lost moisture in our skin. Also, it is great for people with acne.
Kukui Nut Oil as an Acne Remedy
Kukui nut oil is enriched with fatty acids that can help people who have acne-prone skin. The oil can be incorporated easily into the skin, and it won’t feel greasy at all. When it is combined with tea tree oil, it becomes extra powerful on combating acne. When combined with geranium, it can help in minimizing the appearance of scars.
What Makes Kukui Nut Oil Effective?
The reason why it is so effective is because aside from the vitamins A, C, D, and E it contains, it also contains 43% linoleic acid and 33% lenolenic acid. These acids, when combined, are a perfect pair when battling with acne. At the same time, it locks in moisture so your skin remains supple. While it is commonly used to treat acne in the face, it can also be used to treat back acne.
There are many essential oils you can choose from when it comes to caring for your skin through the natural way. Argan oil happens to be one of the oils you can use when you would like a natural solution for keeping your skin and hair in great condition. What is this oil and what are the argan oil benefits? Read on to find out more.
Understanding Argan Oil
Argan oil is made from the kernels of the argan tree which only grows in Morocco. Compared to other oils, it is more expensive because it is only available in its best form when it’s from this region. Back in the old day, argan pits which are collected from goat excrements are pressed to make the oil which the people of Morocco use for both cooking and cosmetics. Today though, the oil available in the market is most usually the product of modern extraction methods.
When the modern methods are used, the kernels from the tree are harvested and then pressed through mechanical means. The kernels can yield as much as 30%-50% oil depending on how they are extracted. When used for cosmetic purposes, the nut itself is no longer roasted before extraction to avoid having too much of a nutty scent. The products you get to buy from the market can usually keep for a year to 18 months.
The Argan Oil Benefits
Being a natural ingredient, argan oil benefits are enticing especially for those who are fans of organic health solutions. Despite the more expensive price range of this oil which you can use for cosmetic purposes, here are some argan oil benefits that you can experience for yourself when you decide to get a bottle:
- Facial moisturizer – You can use this nourishing oil as your nightly facial moisturizer. You can massage just a few drops of it onto your clean face and can be massaged down to the neck as well. Your skin will easily absorb it and will not have a greasy finish.
- Toner additive – You can add a few drops of argan oil to the facial toner you use and shake it well before using. You can tone and simultaneously moisturize your face when you do this. Toning can dry your skin and cause acne breakouts, but using argan oil to counter too much drying can help give you more flawless skin.
- Lip scrub and moisturizer – Add some argan oil to brown sugar and use this as a moisturizing lip scrub.
- Leave-on hair conditioner – After washing your hair and while it is still a bit damp, massage argan oil onto your scalp and spread it down to your hair. This will act as a great natural conditioner which will keep your hair moist! You can do this before leaving for work in the morning or before you turn in for the night.
- Makeup remover – Argan oil is one of the essential oils which you can use as a nourishing makeup remover. Simply add a few drops of argan oil on a cotton ball or pad and swipe it gently over your face to remove extra products. Since it is a natural substance, you wouldn’t be blocking your pores and you lessen the risks of having irritation and acne breakouts.
- Skin moisture restoration – Acne products tend to dry skin causing it to produce more oil. Excess oil (or sebum) and dead skin cells clog the pores which is the leading cause of skin inflammation. This is where argan oil can be useful; it restores the skin’s moisture reducing the need to produce excess oil. Due to its high content of antioxidants and vitamin E, argan oil also soothes inflammation and blemishes. Aside form the fact that it can prevent acne, it has been known to heal past acne scars.
To experience these benefits from argan oil, make sure you buy only from reputable sources which offer authentic argan oil from Morocco. Remember to apply it in a thin layer on your skin to avoid having too much of it and to allow you to add on other products you need to proceed with your daily look.