Food plays an important role on your skin’s health, and when it comes to having naturally clear skin, beta-carotene is one of the natural plant compounds you can rely on. Beta-carotene works to counter acne because when you consume beta-carotene rich foods, your body will convert it into vitamin A. Along with vitamin E and C, vitamin A is one of the most important vitamins your skin needs to fight acne. When your body converts beta-carotene into vitamin A, it then becomes a powerful antioxidant which is important in fighting those acne breakouts. Consuming plenty of beta-carotene to treat acne is recommended if you are for all-natural ways.
Beta-carotene-rich Food to Include in Your Diet:
- Carrots – Carrots are some of the best-known sources of beta-carotene. Beta carotene is what gives this root crop its orange color. This vegetable can be added to soups, stews, stir-fried dishes, and other vegetable dishes. You can even make carrot loaves or cakes for a healthier treat! To benefit from its raw goodness, try including carrots in your green juice recipe and drink its fresh and healthy goodness. If you prefer, you can even purée some carrots and apply the resulting substance on your face as a mask for a topical approach.
- Pumpkins – If you are a fan of pumpkin pies on Thanksgiving, you have more reason to like it now because the beta-carotene in pumpkin goodies can make your acne problems go away. Pumpkin soup and other snacks made from the flesh of pumpkins are a great way to supplement your body’s need for beta-carotene to treat acne.
- Sweet potato – This is another root crop that is actually very rich in beta carotene and is the top source of beta carotene you can find! You can eat it mashed as a substitute for your regular mashed potato, add it to some soups, or even have it as a fried snack—similar to how you would eat French fries. Just make sure you remove as much oil as you can to avoid stocking up oil in your system!
- Kale – You can also get beta-carotene from kale. Although most sources of beta-carotene have orange shades to them, the fibrous goodness of kale is something you can truly benefit from. Make your green juice using kale and carrots plus other fruits to sweeten it, and you can have a great anti-acne drink!
Boost your intake of these food items and you can effectively use beta-carotene to treat acne in a natural and safer manner!
The avocado tree is usually native to Central America and Mexico. Because of its many culinary uses and nutritional benefits, it proves to be valuable commercially.
Benefits of Avocado to the Skin
Avocado has a long list of benefits for the skin, considering the generous deposits of different vitamins and minerals that it has. It has huge amounts of antioxidant carotenoids in it, such as beta carotene, zeaxanthin and lutein. Antioxidants are known for its effectiveness against premature aging caused by environmental factors like UV exposure and pollution. Avocado also has Vitamins C and E, both potent antioxidants as well. Vitamin C keeps your skin smooth and firm by boosting elastin and collagen production, while Vitamin E has the ability to reduce the harmful effects or UVA and UVB radiation.
Use and Application
Now that you have a clearer idea of just how beneficial avocado is for the skin, you can just imagine how necessary it is to start adding it to your regular routine. Start adding it into your diet. You can eat it as it is, or you can east it as part of a salad. You could also try making a smoothie out of it. Also, don’t forget that guacamole’s main ingredient is avocado, so you may want to look up a good recipe for it as well.
Avocado can also be used as an ingredient for skincare products. You can actually find several skincare brands that use avocado in a variety of products. If you are wary of having to buy an entire line of skincare products however, you can also opt to take the DIY option. Start with something simple, such as a facial mask.
Making Your Own Avocado Face Mask
Here’s how to make your own avocado face mask:
- ½ soft avocado
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp honey
- Mash the avocado thoroughly. You can do this either by using a fork or by using a mixer.
- Mix the honey and the hot water.
- Pour the liquid into the avocado paste. Mix thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture onto your face, making sure that you distribute it evenly. Avoid rubbing it onto your face vigorously. Instead, use gentle circular motions to even everything out. Leave the area around your mouth and your eyes.
- Leave this on your face for around 10 minutes.
- Rinse away using warm water.
Other Skincare Tips
Of course, making your own avocado face mask and using it regularly does not guarantee that you’ll have clear skin all the time especially if you don’t know how to maintain it. Here are a few other skincare tips that you have to consider:
- Always keep your skin clean, especially if you are often outdoors. Environmental factors such as pollution and sun exposure have long-term effects on the skin, and can cause premature aging.
- Even if the sun isn’t shining, use some sunscreen. UV rays have two kinds: UVA and UVB. UVB is responsible for sunburns, while UVA is the one you should be looking out for. It is so powerful that it could harm your skin even on a cloudy day. Make sure that your sunscreen says “broad spectrum coverage” or UVA/UVB. While you’re at it, see to it that it’s at least SPF15.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing all the time. Your skin needs to have breathing room too, and tight clothing restricts them of that. Wearing tight clothing all the time can cause acne and premature aging.