Probably one of the best weapons you can use for overall health and wellness, licorice root has been used as an herbal remedy for different health conditions for thousands of years now. As awareness of the importance of using in maintaining healthy skin rises, the effectiveness of licorice root for acne has been getting more attention as it shows more acne-fighting properties with further study and research.
Why Using Licorice Root for Acne Works
Licorice root has different properties that make it effective for acne, taken either orally or topically depending on the situation. Although the plant is more popular because of its use as flavoring for different food and beverages, the roots prove to be more useful because it contains powerful substances that makes it effective not only for acne, but for a number of other health issues as well.
Here are the major reasons for you to use licorice root for acne problems:
- Antibacterial and Anti-inflammatory Properties – Licorice root is effective for the sudden growth of acne because of its strong antibacterial properties. It has the ability to lessen the amount of bacteria around your skin’s pores and helps reduce inflammation by stabilizing the amount of fatty acids found in the sebum that your glands produce.
- Antioxidant Properties – Licorice root is also an antioxidant making it capable of neutralizing free radicals that harm your skin. Free radicals are caused by different internal and external factors such as sunlight, food and pollution, among others. These are unstable molecules in your system that cause skin cells to become unhealthy and damaged, causing different skin conditions such as acne.
- Androgen-Regulating Properties – Licorice root also serves as an agent in regulating the presence of androgen in your system. The increase of androgen levels in the system is one thing that triggers the growth of acne as proven by how common acne is during puberty. Puberty is a period when the androgen and estrogen levels go crazy as a result of hormonal imbalance when the body goes through different series of changes. For some people, their androgen levels remain abnormally high way beyond puberty, causing acne to occur during adulthood.
Other Uses for Licorice Root
Licorice root is just as efficient for other conditions as it is for acne. It is known to have anti-depressant compounds and works effectively for digestive issues like heartburn, ulcers, colic and gastritis. It also aids to ease a few respiratory problems like bronchitis and coughs, as well as other body disorders such as malaria, osteoarthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and food poisoning. It even helps reduce the amount of oil on your hair which makes it a great ingredient for shampoo and other hair care products.
With the many benefits that you could get from licorice root, it is definitely something that you should add to your list of preferred herbal supplements. Especially with the great effect of licorice root for acne, it is definitely something you should start stocking up on as a trusted ally against acne breakouts.
The avocado tree is usually native to Central America and Mexico. Because of its many culinary uses and nutritional benefits, it proves to be valuable commercially.
Benefits of Avocado to the Skin
Avocado has a long list of benefits for the skin, considering the generous deposits of different vitamins and minerals that it has. It has huge amounts of antioxidant carotenoids in it, such as beta carotene, zeaxanthin and lutein. Antioxidants are known for its effectiveness against premature aging caused by environmental factors like UV exposure and pollution. Avocado also has Vitamins C and E, both potent antioxidants as well. Vitamin C keeps your skin smooth and firm by boosting elastin and collagen production, while Vitamin E has the ability to reduce the harmful effects or UVA and UVB radiation.
Use and Application
Now that you have a clearer idea of just how beneficial avocado is for the skin, you can just imagine how necessary it is to start adding it to your regular routine. Start adding it into your diet. You can eat it as it is, or you can east it as part of a salad. You could also try making a smoothie out of it. Also, don’t forget that guacamole’s main ingredient is avocado, so you may want to look up a good recipe for it as well.
Avocado can also be used as an ingredient for skincare products. You can actually find several skincare brands that use avocado in a variety of products. If you are wary of having to buy an entire line of skincare products however, you can also opt to take the DIY option. Start with something simple, such as a facial mask.
Making Your Own Avocado Face Mask
Here’s how to make your own avocado face mask:
- ½ soft avocado
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp honey
- Mash the avocado thoroughly. You can do this either by using a fork or by using a mixer.
- Mix the honey and the hot water.
- Pour the liquid into the avocado paste. Mix thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture onto your face, making sure that you distribute it evenly. Avoid rubbing it onto your face vigorously. Instead, use gentle circular motions to even everything out. Leave the area around your mouth and your eyes.
- Leave this on your face for around 10 minutes.
- Rinse away using warm water.
Other Skincare Tips
Of course, making your own avocado face mask and using it regularly does not guarantee that you’ll have clear skin all the time especially if you don’t know how to maintain it. Here are a few other skincare tips that you have to consider:
- Always keep your skin clean, especially if you are often outdoors. Environmental factors such as pollution and sun exposure have long-term effects on the skin, and can cause premature aging.
- Even if the sun isn’t shining, use some sunscreen. UV rays have two kinds: UVA and UVB. UVB is responsible for sunburns, while UVA is the one you should be looking out for. It is so powerful that it could harm your skin even on a cloudy day. Make sure that your sunscreen says “broad spectrum coverage” or UVA/UVB. While you’re at it, see to it that it’s at least SPF15.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing all the time. Your skin needs to have breathing room too, and tight clothing restricts them of that. Wearing tight clothing all the time can cause acne and premature aging.
There are a lot of minerals for acne that you can use to make your skin clearer, and selenium is one of the most popular for its effectiveness. Selenium originates from the soil. It appears naturally in water and in some kinds of food. It is also one of the important minerals for acne that helps boost your body’s metabolism.
Benefits for the Skin
What makes selenium special? Selenium has been found to have excellent antioxidant properties, similar to a lot of other effective skin-enhancing nutrients and minerals. Antioxidants are effective weapons against free radicals, which are unhealthy molecules within your system that causes the breakdown of cells and triggers the growth of different skin conditions like acne. Selenium has the ability to neutralize the growth of free radicals that damage your skin cells, leaving you with healthier and younger-looking skin. This fact also makes selenium a wonderful anti-aging agent, helping you in keeping the skin young and fresh. Selenium is also a potent anti-inflammatory, especially when combined with a healthy dose of Vitamin E. Since inflammation is also one of the factors that trigger acne growth, selenium is able to help contain the growth of acne by containing any inflammation on your skin.
Sources of Selenium
Although there are supplements that you can take to get your needed dose of selenium, it is always better to get these minerals for acne from natural sources. Walnuts and grains are great sources of selenium, and so are beef and poultry. You can also take your fill of selenium from different kinds of fish like red snapper, herring, cod and tuna. Make sure that you get selenium from whole foods, as there is a big tendency for the selenium to be destroyed when food goes through processing.
Selenium has other benefits aside from being one of the great minerals for acne. It can help you keep your heart healthier by reducing the occurrence of blood clot and the oxidation of cholesterol in your system. It also boosts the production and mobility of sperms, thereby increasing the chances of egg fertilization. It has also been seen as a big factor in reducing the possibility of an infant having birth defects. Selenium also proves to be a great companion for those who have diabetes, as it is seen to increase the production of insulin in the body. It regulates your body’s metabolic processes and the production of glucose, and is also effective in the reduction of oxidative stress. All these actually help reduce the instances of other health issues brought about by diabetes, such as neuropathy, retinopathy and cataracts.
As with other minerals for acne, selenium could have some negative effects as well. Excessive consumption of it can lead to low blood pressure and imbalance in your blood chemistry. It can also have negative reaction when combined with medicine and supplements that you might be taking as well. To stay on the safe side, consult a physician to find out what dose you should be taking and to get feedback if it blends well with the other meds you’re taking.