Probably one of the best weapons you can use for overall health and wellness, licorice root has been used as an herbal remedy for different health conditions for thousands of years now. As awareness of the importance of using in maintaining healthy skin rises, the effectiveness of licorice root for acne has been getting more attention as it shows more acne-fighting properties with further study and research.
Why Using Licorice Root for Acne Works
Licorice root has different properties that make it effective for acne, taken either orally or topically depending on the situation. Although the plant is more popular because of its use as flavoring for different food and beverages, the roots prove to be more useful because it contains powerful substances that makes it effective not only for acne, but for a number of other health issues as well.
Here are the major reasons for you to use licorice root for acne problems:
- Antibacterial and Anti-inflammatory Properties – Licorice root is effective for the sudden growth of acne because of its strong antibacterial properties. It has the ability to lessen the amount of bacteria around your skin’s pores and helps reduce inflammation by stabilizing the amount of fatty acids found in the sebum that your glands produce.
- Antioxidant Properties – Licorice root is also an antioxidant making it capable of neutralizing free radicals that harm your skin. Free radicals are caused by different internal and external factors such as sunlight, food and pollution, among others. These are unstable molecules in your system that cause skin cells to become unhealthy and damaged, causing different skin conditions such as acne.
- Androgen-Regulating Properties – Licorice root also serves as an agent in regulating the presence of androgen in your system. The increase of androgen levels in the system is one thing that triggers the growth of acne as proven by how common acne is during puberty. Puberty is a period when the androgen and estrogen levels go crazy as a result of hormonal imbalance when the body goes through different series of changes. For some people, their androgen levels remain abnormally high way beyond puberty, causing acne to occur during adulthood.
Other Uses for Licorice Root
Licorice root is just as efficient for other conditions as it is for acne. It is known to have anti-depressant compounds and works effectively for digestive issues like heartburn, ulcers, colic and gastritis. It also aids to ease a few respiratory problems like bronchitis and coughs, as well as other body disorders such as malaria, osteoarthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and food poisoning. It even helps reduce the amount of oil on your hair which makes it a great ingredient for shampoo and other hair care products.
With the many benefits that you could get from licorice root, it is definitely something that you should add to your list of preferred herbal supplements. Especially with the great effect of licorice root for acne, it is definitely something you should start stocking up on as a trusted ally against acne breakouts.
Olive oil has been called as liquid gold and not without reason. It can be used both in and out of the kitchen and for centuries, has been a very useful ally when it comes to herbal medicinal purposes. Today, olive oil is valued by those who prefer making use of natural products as their beauty secrets, and even modern cosmetic products add olive oil to their list of ingredients.
Apart from using this highly versatile oil in the kitchen, did you know that you can also have clearer skin by using olive oil for acne?
The Wondrous Natural Effects of Olive Oil
Superior quality olive oil is what would best work when you want to use olive oil for acne. The quality of olive oil plays a huge role on how effective it would be on your skin. Preferably, you should get one which is rich in polyphenols, or those which are labeled as extra virgin olive oil. Read the ingredients and see that there are no additive oils included, and that the product you get is not an oil blend.
Compared to other kind of topical remedies, here are the reasons why olive oil for acne is effective:
- It acts as an antioxidant – It helps protect your skin from various damages especially on a cellular basis. Polyphenols in olive oil help keep the skin hydrated and the skin cells will also be less prone on getting scars from acne or wrinkles as you age.
- Olive oil has its own antibacterial properties – Since acne can be caused by bacteria trapped in the pores of your skin, having a natural antibacterial remedy for it can help you fight acne. Olive oil won’t clog your pores, and when you use it as your natural moisturizer or makeup remover, you also eliminate bacteria which has lodged into your skin. Bacterial infections are also lessened when you include olive oil for your anti-acne routine.
- Anti-inflammatory properties – If you are plagued with inflamed acne and you would like to reduce the inflammation, olive oil can help soothe your skin. Applying it in a thin layer over affected areas can calm your skin and may even lessen the pain which comes with the inflammation.
- Can be added to your facial scrubs – Since exfoliation plays a major role in having clear skin, having a lubricating substance such as olive oil can help reduce the abrasive properties of the scrub you use. Say for example you use brown sugar on your face twice a week—instead of just wetting it with water, add a few drops of olive oil instead. You can exfoliate and at the same time help your skin absorb more moisture from the olive oil.
How to Use Olive Oil for Acne
Apart from the ideas above, you can use olive oil as your natural anti-acne remedy by trying these tips:
- Purchase a high-quality olive oil-based soap or facial cleanser. This way, you can further support how you use olive oil as a topical application on your face.
- Apply olive oil as your moisturizer at night instead of commercial night creams. Even just a thin layer will do, and you will see the nourishing effect it has in the morning! Remember to wash it though, before applying anything else upon waking up.
- Use olive oil as your makeup cleanser instead of strong chemicals. It will successfully break down makeup particles on your face while giving some love back to your skin by hydrating it instead of alcohol-based makeup removers.
Keep a bottle of olive oil in handy and use it not only in the kitchen but for your skin as well!