Acne or pimples on scalp is a condition that can affect men and women alike regardless of age. The same with acne on the face and back, this skin condition is a result of clogged pores due to dead skin, dirt and oil. If left unattended, scalp acne can become painful and annoying especially when lying down, and can lead to hair loss. Although it is not as noticeable as acne on the face, this skin problem is still something that must be dealt with immediately to prevent it from getting worse.
Causes of Pimples on Scalp
- Over-production of oil in the scalp which clogs the pores of the skin resulting in the growth of acne or pimples.
- Allergic reaction to certain hair care products containing harsh chemicals that irritate the scalp and results to pimples or acne lesions.
- Poor hygiene leading to deposits of dirt and dead skin on the scalp that clog the pores
- Unhealthy lifestyle particularly poor diet and too much caffeine intake
- Hormonal imbalance
- Stressful lifestyle
- Hereditary trait
- Severe exposure to sunlight
- Excessive use of oil-based hair styling products
Natural Treatment for Pimples on Scalp
If the cause of pimples or acne on the scalp is personal lifestyle like poor hygiene, poor diet, etc, treating the condition will be much easier. Here are natural treatments for pimples on scalp:
- Mild shampoo – Washing the hair and scalp with mild shampoo everyday helps avoid the accumulation of dirt, oil and dead skin on the pores, thus preventing acne and pimples from developing.
- Soda Water – For mild acne or pimples, soda water might also work. This is done by washing the hair with soda water and letting it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. This will help dry out the pimples and acne on the scalp.
- White Vinegar – White vinegar is also effective in drying out pimples and acne. The same procedure in using soda water applies when using white vinegar.
- Baby Powder – Baby powder might also work and it is worth a try. This can be done by sprinkling a generous amount of baby powder on the scalp and leaving it for a few hours before washing the hair clean.
- Fenugreek Leaves – A paste made with fenugreek leaves and water and applied on scalp can also treat acne or pimples. The paste is usually applied on the affected area and left for at least 10 minutes before rinsing.
- Tea Tree Oil – Another popular natural acne treatment is the tea tree oil which is used to prevent or treat acne and pimples. The oil is applied topically on the affected area.
In some conditions especially in severe cases, immediate medical attention might be needed. But for milder conditions, natural home remedies might be effective. However, if after trying out these home remedies for pimples on scalp the condition still persists, it is always best to consult your doctor to get the condition under control. Home remedies may not be an effective acne treatment to some people and doctors can best recommend over-the-counter or prescription medications that can best cure and eliminate pimples or acne on scalp.