Cocoa butter is popular for having the ability to eliminate scars and stretch marks. After an injury or an acne breakout, the fear revolves whether or not it will occur again and if it will leave a permanent mark on the skin. But not for long. Cocoa butter offers a solution for getting rid of the scar problems, even stretch marks, in the body.
At some point in our lives, we may experience an injury, pregnancy, acne breakout, wounds; all these may result to scarring. Scars are permanent patches of skin that grows over a wound after it heals. Some fade through time but none ever goes away completely. And although they serve as an indication of a healed wound, scars are not pleasing to look at especially if they appear on the face.
What is Cocoa Butter?
Cocoa butter is an aromatic, hard-pressed butter made from the roasted seeds of Cacao trees found in West Africa. It gives a thick and creamy consistency to many skin care products such as creams and lotions. It has a long history as a skin care ingredient and getting rid of scars. Cocoa butter contains many antioxidants and is a rich source of vitamin E. It is often used in clearing the skin, moisturizing and lightening scars and stretch marks. It is also beneficial for irritated skin, chapped skin and lips. It is also a soap ingredient and it gives soaps a thick lather and a hard built. The butter only melts once it reaches the skin as the skin temperature heats it.
Benefits of Cocoa Butter on the Skin
The cocoa butter is a good protective agent on the skin. It lubricates and softens the skin, reduces dryness, improves the flexibility of the skin and remove wrinkles and scars. It is also a rich source of antioxidants which help in eliminating harmful substances from the body for a clean and healthy skin. Cocoa butter is also an excellent moisturizer and emollient. It penetrates deep in the skin so that moisture is properly retained. It can also smooth out and tone the skin so that scars and blemishes are not noticeable. It also repairs damaged skin and regenerates skin tissues. Pollution, sun exposure and extreme temperatures can damage the skin but cocoa butter prevents these factors from penetrating the skin by providing a protective layer above it.
How to Use Cocoa Butter
- Wash the skin for a clean feel and exfoliate for extra benefits. Cleaning the skin before applying cocoa butter prepares it for the treatment.
- Lather an amount of cocoa butter and massage firmly on the skin in a circular motion. Rub firmly so that the scar will smoothen and collagen will break down.
- Continue massaging the skin until the cocoa butter completely melts away. It provides a lasting hydration and moisturizing effect on the skin. In order to remove scars, the skin must always be hydrated and lubricated.
- Continue doing this process until changes are observed. Apply cocoa butter three times a day for better results. Remember to massage firmly as the skin responds well to aggressive massaging.
- Do not try this with an open wound on the skin. Wait for it to completely heal before using cocoa butter on your skin.
- Consult your dermatologist for better prescription and to avoid complications.