Acne scars and dark spots can be annoying and can really cause an uneven appearance on your face. African American skin is no exception to this skin problem. The great news is that there are safe and natural solutions on how to reduce dark spots and have more even skin tone. Try the following methods which you can do right at home:
- Steam your face to open up pores and loosen the dead skin cells which cause the scars to remain. This can be achieved by leaning over a bowl of hot water and allowing the steam to open up the pores for about 10-15 minutes. After this time, rinse with cool water to remove impurities which came out and to close the pores. This should be done on a regular basis and in combination with some other techniques to see results.
- Exfoliate with baking soda. This can reduce the darkness of acne scars when you concentrated the exfoliation on the area. It helps reduce skin buildup, and lighten the skin over time. When doing this, make sure your fingers are clean and that you massage the baking soda in gentle circular motions.
- Apply vitamin E on the affected areas. This naturally moisturizes the skin, and skin which is rich in moisture recovers from scars and other problems much faster.
- Use green tea and lemon juice. Allow a bag of green tea to steep and add some lemon juice to it. Using a cotton ball, absorb some of this natural solution and dab it directly on the spots. Lemon juice can help in lightening dark spots while green tea helps achieve anti-hyper-pigmentation as well as antioxidant properties to help your skin recover. Allow this to air dry and make it a part of your cleansing regimen. Rinse your face with lukewarm water after a few minutes and dab aloe vera gel onto the affected areas.
- Moisturize your face using sunscreen. This can help prevent your dark spots from getting darker especially when you are exposed to the sun. Also, when you use lemon juice, remember to use sunscreen since it can make your skin photosensitive. Protect your skin from the sun using a good sunscreen that can moisturize your skin as well.
- Make a mixture of whole milk and soy milk. Dip some cotton into this mixture and apply dabs of it onto the spots all over the face. Allow it to air dry for about 10-15 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Milk naturally contains lactic acid which is a kind of natural exfoliant. Simply applying it on your face will lighten the dark spots. Soy will also help in gradually lightening the dark spots as well.
Basically, what you would have to do is regularly exfoliate your skin and pay close attention to the dark spots while simultaneously moisturizing your facial skin as well. Don’t overdo the exfoliation, twice a week is enough for the whole face, or every other day—but only gently for severe problem areas. Using moisturizer with a good amount of sunscreen will also help a lot.