Having acne is problematic enough—having to deal with the scars it leaves behind is another issue! Since healing acne takes time, it is understandable that your patience may wear out, but remember that allowing your skin to adjust to whatever treatment process you are using will help achieve the desired results faster—although you may not see it, sticking to a good skin routine is doing your skin a favor because you are actually doing steps to prevent acne from scarring. A good skin routine that can prevent acne from scarring includes:
- Regular gentle cleansing – Cleansing with products that have salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide can help kill acne-causing bacteria, dry up existing acne, and prevent further acne breakouts. One of the top causes of acne scars is when you pop those zits – whether accidentally or on purpose. You can avoid accidental pimple rupture that may lead to scars by cleansing your face twice a day with products that have salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. They can minimize inflammation and acne tenderness by drying them up. By killing bacteria on your skin, you will also experience less itchiness and you will lessen the tendency of scratching on your face which leads to acne popping.
- Moisturizing – Moisturized skin heals faster. Remember that cleansing products may strip moisture from your face and should your pimples ever rupture, your skin will suffer all the more. Moisturized skin is supple and less prone to breakage, which is why applying a thin layer of moisturizer after cleansing and toning your skin is a must. You can use natural oils like olive and castor to act as your overnight moisturizing mask.
- Exfoliating – Natural exfoliators such as lime juice, yogurt, kefir, and brown sugar granules can help prevent acne from scarring as well. When you regularly exfoliate your skin, you reveal a healthier layer of skin which gives you that clear and youthful glow. By allowing your skin to breathe and removing dead skin cells, you encourage improved collagen production which helps the skin heal more naturally.
Here are other tips to avoid acne scarring:
- Reduce inflammation – You can reduce inflammation by soothing your skin with some ice. Apply ice on the affected area to reduce inflammation on an as-needed basis. By reducing inflammation, you lessen skin sensitivity and decrease chances of accidentally popping your zits.
- Do NOT pop your pimples – Never pop or pick on your pimples. This can infect your skin and what’s worse, leave behind dark spots. Let the pimples heal and go away naturally by sticking to your skin care routine and not squeezing them. Breaking your skin will do more damage than good.
- Be patient – Skin healing does not happen overnight. Acne won’t disappear with the blink of an eye and remember to allow your skin to adjust to your skin care regimen before trying a new method. Also, natural scar lightening techniques such as aloe vera, baking soda, or lemon juice should be applied regularly before you see results. Give or take about 6 months before you see a great improvement on your dark spots.
Remember that sticking to a good skin care routine is what can truly make acne and those scars go away!