Tea tree oil is among the most popular skin care ingredients that people have been following for quite some time. Because of the different properties that it has, it has become a top favorite especially for those who are battling acne and similar skin conditions. Aside from using it in the form of creams or lotions, tea tree oil soap for acne also proves to be an effective solution.
Here’s how you can make your own tea tree oil soap at home:
- 7.2 oz. olive oil
- 4.8 oz. coconut oil
- 2.08 oz. sweet almond oil
- 1.92 oz. avocado oil
- 6.08 oz. water
- 2.27 oz. lye
- 0.7 oz. tea tree essential oil
Note that you can also adjust the amount of tea tree oil you’ll be putting in, making sure that you stick within 0.5 to 1.0 oz per pound of oils. You can also mix other essential oils with it. Some of those that work best with tea tree oil are basil, chamomile, peppermint, rosemary, sandalwood and lavender.
Once you have all of the ingredients ready, follow these steps to start making your own tea tree oil soap:
- Add the lye into the water and mix them until the lye has completely dissolved. Wait for the mixture to cool down.
- Start weighing and melting the oils. Once both the oil mixture and the lye and water mixture reach 95 degrees Fahrenheit, you can now add the lye and water mixture into the oil mixture. Use a stick blender to mix the two together.
- Once you see the mixture reach light trace, start adding the tea tree oil, as well as other essential oils that you want to add to this recipe. Make sure everything is mixed properly.
- Pour the mixture into your soap molds and insulate for a day or two.
- Once you feel that the soap is hard enough, take the soap out of the old and start cutting it.
- Let the cut soap cure in a well-ventilated place for around a month and a half.
Tea Tree Oil Benefits
Now that you have your homemade tea tree oil soap, you can start experiencing the difference that it can make on your skin. Here are some of the benefits that using tea tree oil has:
- It kills bacteria effectively. Tea tree oil is a powerful antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agent. It helps you fight off the kind of bacteria that triggers the growth of acne on your skin.
- It is all-natural. Tea tree oil is a natural alternative to other ingredients used against acne such as benzoyl peroxide. Although this chemical compound is greatly effective, it also has long-term side effects. Tea tree oil however is just as effective, without the nasty adverse effects.
- It is a cheaper alternative. Tea tree oil is quite common, which is probably why it is a lot cheaper than a lot of other essential oils.
With all the benefits of tea tree oil soap for acne and for general skin maintenance, might as well start gathering those ingredients and start working on making a few bars of your own.