People who have acne don’t just suffer having spots on their faces but they usually suffer feelings of anxiety and lack of self-confidence. Most of the time, they cannot help but look for ways to make the zits and spots go away permanently. However, acne is not easy to get rid of especially in people who are prone to them but there are ways to treat them that will not break the bank or irritate the skin even more.
Cost-Effective And Safe
There are some very expensive acne treatment gels and creams out in the open market these days and their effectiveness is usually a hit or miss. However, one treatment that has been tested and proven to zap zits is calamine lotion. Most people have seen this lotion; it is a pinkish sort of color and has a very creamy consistency. This can be used to treat a myriad of conditions but it really works on zits as it has antibacterial and anti-allergy properties that kill bacteria that cause acne.
You can very easily buy calamine lotion over the counter in most pharmacies but you can very easily make your own at home. Below, you will find a list of ingredients and instructions as to how you can make your own calamine lotion.
- Roughly ¼ cup of fresh water
- Bentonite clay 4tsp
- Baking soda 4tsp
- Sea salt 1tbsp to 2tbsp
- Essential oil 10-15 drops (lavender or chamomile)
- Glycerin 1.2tsp (optional)
- Pink kaolin clay 2tsp to 3tsp (optional)
Tip: lavender and chamomile essential oils are great for the skin but do not limit yourself top them as you can also use other essential oils like eucalyptus and tea tree oil which are known to be just as beneficial.
- In a small bowl, which together your bentonite clay, baking soda, and kaolin clay (if you want to use it)
- Pour in water and stir until you have a sort of creamy paste. It usually takes about a quarter cup but it may take more.
- Once everything is evenly mixed, pour in your essential oils and if you are using glycerin, add that too.
- Stir several times more to make sure they are evenly mixed and store in a clean jar with a tight fitting lid. This should last about week in the ice box.
Why These Ingredients?
Each of the ingredients listed above have their own unique benefits and effects for the skin. For instance, bentonite soaks up oil from the skin while baking soda is alkaline which reacts to skin spots that are higher in acidity levels. The essential oils contain powerful anti-inflammatories and other properties that soothe skin. Calamine lotion does indeed work for zits and is something you need to try if all the expensive lotions and potions you try out do not work. Not only can it shrink zits and dry them out but it can also lighten acne scars.
Of course, you should always consult with your dermatologist before you try any at-home remedies so you do not make the problem worse.