There are a lot of acne myths and facts that run around, often confusing consumers whose only goals involve keeping their skin clear from acne. Especially with the number of products sold in the market, making the decision on what products would work best could be an upsetting task. Take acne creams, for example. There is a wide assortment of creams fit for different skin types across different brands and manufacturers containing an even wider range of ingredients. So how do you decide what acne cream fits you the best?
What Does Your Acne Cream Contain?
Different products use a variety of ingredients that make it effective against acne and other skin conditions. But just because they help keep your skin smooth does not mean that they are also safe. Some ingredients give you quick results but combine this with long-term damage. Here are a few ingredients you should be careful about in choosing your acne cream:
- DEA, MEA and TEA. Diethanolamine, monoethanolamine and triethanolamine are used to boost the amount of foam in products. These are skin irritants that cause dermatitis.
- Phthalates. Phthalates cause kidney and liver damage and could also result to birth defects in its user’s offspring.
- FD&C Color and Pigments. These are synthetic colors that deposit toxins in the skin. Animal studies also show that they are carcinogens.
- Parabens. Parabens include methyl, ethyl, butyl and propyl. These are used as preservatives, and are not always listed on product labels. These have also been found in a lot of breast cancer tumors.
- Triclosan. Triclosan is an antibacterial agent that EPA has registered as a pesticide. It does not only put people at risk, but the environment as well.
- SLS and SLES. Sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate are found in a lot of industrial cleaners and can cause depression, eye damage, diarrhea and skin irritation.
What Should Your Acne Cream Contain?
Don’t be confused with acne myths and facts that you hear everywhere. There is one basic rule that should be followed if you want to maximize your skin’s health: instead of getting products that contain synthetic or chemical-based ingredients, opt for acne creams that contain natural ingredients instead. These are safer to use and would definitely blend in with your body’s natural processes. Find products that are rich in Vitamins A, E and C because these all contribute to giving your skin a healthy and natural glow. Vitamin A helps rebuild skin tissue, which makes it great for those who suffer from acne and other skin diseases. Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that helps prevent acne by protecting the skin against oxidative stress. Vitamin C is another antioxidant that boosts the skin’s immunity against external factors that harm the skin. Magnesium is another wonderful ingredient that reduces inflammation which causes acne. It also has the ability to balance your body hormones, helping to prevent hormonal acne.
Now that you know what to avoid and what to find, it’s about time you stopped being confused about acne myths and facts. Choose your acne cream well and smoother skin should follow in no time.