You never really know what goes into the skin care products you use unless you make it yourself. Especially for people with skin that is prone to breakouts, choosing the right products off the shelf could be quite a challenge. If you are faced with the same acne problem over and over again, maybe it’s time to take matters into your own hands. Making your own homemade acne treatments will give you the absolute assurance of using a product that is sure to be safe, mostly because you have complete control of what goes in it.
There are many homemade acne treatments that you can try to learn how to make. You can start off with the simple process of making your own soap. Here’s a recipe for an acne treatment bar soap that takes advantage of the potent detoxifying and healing properties of different herbs and oils.
- 10 oz. olive oil (preferably infused with comfrey, dried thyme, nettles and burdock root)
- 10 oz. coconut oil
- 2 oz. castor oil
- 6 oz. neem oil
- 3 oz. palm oil
- 2 oz. beeswax
- 4.5 oz. lye
- 10 oz. water
- 1 oz. tea tree essential oil
- 1 oz. peppermint essential oil
- Neutralize all equipment with vinegar, water and soap. This is to prepare everything that will come into contact with the lye.
- Pour the lye into the water. Stir until the lye is completely dissolved. Refrain from touching the mixture. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Pour the olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, neem oil and palm oil into a single pot. Add the beeswax. Warm the mixture over low heat until everything has melted.
- Once the oil mixture is completely melted, pour into a crock pot. Make sure that the oil mixture does not get too hot. Keep the crock pot at its lowest setting.
- Add the lye and water mixture into the crock pot and stir.
- Using a stick blender, blend the mixture for around 3 to 5 minutes until it is thick enough to have consistency similar to pudding.
- Cover the crock pot and let it cook for at least an hour.
- Once the mixture has folded and has a nearly transparent hue, turn the crock pot off.
- Get your molds ready.
- Just before you pour the cooked mixture into the molds, pour in the tea tree essential oil and the peppermint essential oil.
- Pour or spoon the mixture into the molds. Allow these to harden for at least 24 hours.
- Remove the soap from the molds. Cut into bars at least one-inch in thickness.
- Place all the bars on a tray and allow them to harden further.
You can also find other techniques that you can apply in creating your homemade acne treatments. Since this featured recipe uses the hot process, maybe you can try out another recipe that uses the cold process next time. See what would be easier for you to make and what would produce better results. Experiment with different ingredients as well, finding combinations that you think would work better in producing more homemade products that can help you fight acne.