There have been a lot of factors carefully studied to cause acne. Diet, hormonal changes like pregnancy and PMS, stress and others are among those given with emphasis. Adolescents are specifically prone to endure acne as their bodies start to experience changes. However, either topically or orally, many have already benefitted from using evening primrose oil for acne.
Evening primrose oil has been used as a natural remedy for a vast array of diseases and health conditions for a long time. The efficiency of this oil relies mainly on its high content level of GLA or the gamma-linolenic acid. GLA is considered to be an essential fatty acid that is found in many food sources but it has been known that evening primrose oil contains more concentrated dosage.
People may start questioning, how effective is evening primrose oil for acne? Did you know that evening primrose oil works mainly on cystic, men, and hormone-related acne? There may still be no scientific back-up for this but a lot of people are already hooked to using evening primrose oil in giving remedy to acne, especially to those types related by changes in hormones.
Evening Primrose Oil for Hormonal Acne
Young adults and teenagers are the largest groups of individuals who suffer mostly from acne. It is because it is during these stages that hormonal changes are encountered. Therefore, most of these people’s acne is hormone-related. Although the Medline Plus site conducted a study and concluded that there were no suitable evidences to prove that evening primrose oil can cure hormone-related acne, many are still claiming that it is alternative medicine’s relief for acne related to hormonal changes.
If you are asking why, here is the function of evening primrose oil for acne related to hormonal changes.
- The body converts gamma-linolenic acid to prostaglandin, a hormone-like substance. There are some conditions like certain skin disorders and PMS or premenstrual syndrome that can worsen because of the deficiency in GLA. According to the University of Michigan Health System, the deficiency of this substance is a direct result to a metabolic problem that blocks the body from providing adequate GLA. The evening primrose oil, which is rich in GLA, can help stabilize and regulate at the same time certain hormones that can lead to acne breakout. The anti-inflammatory properties of the oil can lessen the inflammation of the acne blemishes as well.
Steps on How to Use Evening Primrose Oil to Treat Acne
- In using evening primrose oil for acne, you can either use it consistently or occasionally. If you want to maintain a healthy looking skin, then you can use it consistently. However, occasional outbreaks can be brought about by stress or menstruation and this is the best time to occasionally use it.
- You can make your own formula if you want. The diced or ground evening primrose leaves can be mixed with petroleum jelly for a homemade topical acne treatment.
- Purchase capsules or tablets in health stores, pharmacies, or any major supermarkets near you. Pay special attention to the required dosage and expiration date. The suggested dosage is 1000mg to be taken twice daily. But, before you consume this, it is always best that you consult the expert advice of your dermatologist to ensure safety and efficiency.
- Patiently wait for evening primrose to take effect. It is not like you apply it today and you see changes tomorrow. Evening primrose oil is a natural alternative medicine and is mild and people do not experience direct results. It will take at least 2 weeks to obtain changes and improvements on the skin. And remember, it will only take effect if regularly used.
- Evening primrose oil is not only good to treat acne but other skin conditions as well. Certain skin conditions like eczema, redness, dry, and sensitive skin can as well be soothed by using evening primrose oil.
- Start the application of evening primrose gradually. At the beginning, it is always recommended that those users with sensitive skin should mildly and minimally use primrose oil just until the body gets used to it. This is applicable to both ingested and topical formulas.
Over the years, evening primrose oil has been very effective and successful in terms of treating rosacea and cystic acne. Even acne on men can be treated with evening primrose oil. As long as you know how and when to use it, desired results are at hand.
Although reviews have been great with evening primrose oil for acne, it is, at all times, recommended to seek the advice of your dermatologist or any doctor near you. There could be unlikely side effects that might occur and stopping them are not at your hands. Despite all these natural gifts from nature, the man-made study and human mind can always matter.