Acne is a very common skin disease which affects most people once they hit puberty. It can affect the areas of the body where the largest oil glands are situated because they are more prone to getting clogged. Once these glands are clogged, the skin becomes irritated and inflamed thus leading to acne. According to the beliefs of Ayurveda, this skin condition is due to the aggravation of the Pitta dosha. It is also caused by the increase of rakta and meda dhatu and the kapha and vata dosha. Improper and unhealthy diet leads to the imbalance and may cause various skin disease such as acne, pimples, boils and rashes.
In order to have an effective remedy for acne, the doshas involved must first be identified. The type of acne may tell you about what doshas are causing the skin condition and what would be the best remedy for it. Reducing the dosha that causes the acne is the key for best results. Pitta must be reduced to relieve inflammations, vata is reduced to help prevent scars and marks and the kapha must be reduced to get rid of swelling, pus and oiliness.
Proper Diet for Eliminating Acne According to Ayurveda
One’s diet can cause different complications in the body. Most diseases depend on what kind of food we eat and consume every day. Improper diet is one cause of acne according to Ayurveda. In order to remedy acne, a change in diet regimen must be followed and practiced. Consume fresh food and avoid certain chemicals and substances that can harm the skin and the body as well. Here are some diet tips based on the Ayurveda practice. Before trying these tips, it is best to consult a dermatologist or an expert for best results.
- The skin must always be kept moisturized and hydrated. Seven to eight glasses of water is recommended for daily intake in order to help cleanse the body, eliminate toxins from the skin and boost the functioning of the body’s self-purifying system.
- Beta carotene rich foods should be part of the daily diet. These include pumpkin, carrots, cantaloupe and other vegetables and fruits that have the yellow or orange colors.
- Cucumber juice combined with lettuce and carrots is a good remedy for acne and pimples.
- Aloe Vera is an excellent remedy for acne. Apply ½ cup of aloe vera pulp to the affected area of the skin twice daily.
- A paste made from fresh and washed leaves of fenugreek can be applied on acne scars before going to bed in order to lighten the dark spots and remove the marks on the skin caused by old pimples.
- A mixture of rose water and lemon juice can be prepared in equal amounts and applied on the areas of the skin covered with acne. After half an hour, it must be watched thoroughly with water. It can help get rid of scars, pimples and acne.
- Almond oil can be applied on the skin to relieve inflammations and dryness.
- Spicy, hot, pungent, fried, junk and oily foods must be avoided. Cut out processed and fatty foods from your diet and replace them with vegetables instead.