Hormonal acne is a type of acne that affects men and women including teens. It is a skin disorder that occurs when certain male hormones that are present not only among males but also among females promote the overproduction of oil which in turn clogs the pores of their skin and causes acne. This condition is usually more common among women as it is also triggered by pregnancy, puberty, menstruation, and intake of birth control pills. The location of breakouts is usually at the jaw and chin.
With the influx of so many available commercial and home remedy treatments for this type of skin condition, many people suffering from acne due to hormonal imbalance or hormonal changes often find themselves bewildered in looking for the best way on how to get rid of acne.
Healthy Diet as Hormonal Acne Treatment
Men and women who suffer from hormonal acne should maintain a special kind of diet that can help prevent the development of acne. This hormonal acne diet is composed of:
- Servings of fruits and vegetables with low glycemic content
- Whole grains and lean protein
- Fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants such as apples and berries which can help prevent or reduce inflammation
- Food rich in Omega-3 fatty acids such as tuna, salmon, walnuts and others
- Spices and herbs that offer health benefits such as ginger and turmeric
- Intake of plenty of water because water cleanses the body naturally
What to avoid:
- A high glycemic diet which includes processed foods and sweets that can lead to imbalance of the blood sugar and which can activate the hormones causing acne
- Commercial dairy products such as milk and egg because they contain hormones that can trigger acne
- Salty foods containing iodine which can trigger or aggravate acne
Natural Hormonal Acne Treatment
Natural treatment for hormonal acne includes observing a healthy lifestyle and using organic products which do not contain harsh chemicals and are readily available in most homes.
- Reducing the level of stress especially at work because stress can trigger the development of new acne and makes the existing ones worse
- Including relaxing activities in the daily routine
- Establishing a regular exercise or workout routine since it can help eliminate the toxins from the body which causes acne
- Observing proper hygiene like regular cleansing of the skin using a mild soap or cleanser
- Getting plenty of sleep
- Milk Thistle – Milk thistle is a flowering plant that belongs to the daisy family and is known to be effective in cleansing and strengthening both the gall bladder and kidney. It accelerates bile production, a fluid produced by the liver which in turn helps in eliminating the byproducts of testosterone that triggers acne. As treatment for acne, milk thistle seeds are usually boiled and made into tea. Drinking at least half a cup of tea three times a day is one of the known natural treatments for acne.
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil is rich in anti-infection, antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties that can help in preventing acne and can inhibit inflammation. As a natural remedy for acne, equal parts of tea tree oil and water should be mixed. Using a cotton ball, this mixture should be applied to the affected area at least twice a day daily for better results.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice also makes an effective natural remedy for acne. Lemon juice is mixed with water then applied to the affected area for half an hour before rinsing. However, if it causes a burning sensation or redness to the skin, it should be rinsed-off immediately.
- Ice Cubes – Ice cubes are effective for reducing inflammation and redness in the affected area.
- Garlic – Garlic is known as an excellent natural cleanser. Applying garlic in the affected area and leaving it for 30-60 minutes might also help in treating acne.
- Neem Leaves – Neem leaves are another popular treatment for acne. Crushed neem leaves are usually and regularly applied directly onto the affected area to see the effect.
- Papaya – Rubbing papaya pulp on the affected area also makes a good cure for acne. The pulp should be applied onto the affected area and let sit for half an hour before rinsing.
While there are various types of best acne products as well as home remedies available for treating hormonal acne, it is important to note that these treatments may have different effects on people. One treatment may work for one person but not for another. Each type of treatment has its pros and cons. Also, it is important that before treating hormonal acne, a doctor must be consulted first to be sure of the type of acne the patient has and the best treatment for it. It is dangerous to self-check or experiment since doing so may just worsen the skin disorder.