Proactiv® is an acne-fighting over-the-counter topical medication launched by Dr. Kathy Fields and Dr. Katie Roldan in 1995. Originally marketed through Guthy-Renker infomercials, it is now available online at sales stores and even in vending machines. Like many other acne treatment solutions, Proactiv® uses benzoyl peroxide as its main active ingredient. According to Proactiv reviews from users of this product, Proactiv® is effective for treating mild to moderate cases of acne.
Different Forms of Proactiv®
Proactiv® is especially designed to treat acne proactively by controlling its growth before any breakout occurs. There are three different forms of Proactiv® products that must be used through a three-step system. Using these products in the right order is found to help achieve an acne-free skin:
- Cleanser – Made from smaller and finer particles of benzoyl peroxide, Proactiv® Cleanser quickly penetrates the pores of the skin to get rid of acne-causing bacteria. Additionally, it has tiny exfoliating beads designed to remove dirt, dead skin cells and excess oils that clog the pores.
- Toner – Proactiv® Toner is a liquid skin care product with a greenish color and is applied to the face using cotton ball or any absorbent material. It contains glycolic acid that can clear the skin of any excess oil while opening the pores. Though it contains zero alcohol, the toner can cause a tingling effect when applied.
- Lotion – The third and final Proactiv® product to treat acne is the Proactiv® Lotion. This product contains only 2.5 percent benzoyl peroxide concentration, a considerably low concentration level to help avoid drying out of the skin.
Aside from these individual products, Proactiv® also offers other products that can be integrated into their three-step system. These include refining mask, cleansing wash and dark spot corrector. For those who are allergic to benzoyl peroxide, users can opt for their Gentle Formula Kit which uses salicylic acid instead of benzoyl peroxide.
Possible Side-Effects of Using Proactiv®
According to some acne treatment reviews, Proactiv® may have certain side-effects to users allergic to its ingredients. Side-effects may include dryness of the skin, peelings, itchiness, redness, swelling, hives, and burning sensation. When the side-effects are just mild, there should be no cause for alarm. But if one or more of these symptoms get worse, the user should stop using the product and consult a doctor. Extra care must also be observed when using the product as it can cause discoloration in towels, sheets and clothes. Additionally, it must be stored away from the reach of children.
Proactiv Reviews: Advantages and Disadvantages
The advantages and disadvantages of using Proactiv® are based on actual testimonials and Proactiv reviews from users including celebrities:
Advantages of Using Proactiv®
- Treats acne proactively
- Removes all traces of acne
- Over-the-counter medication
- Can be bought online, in a store or vending machine
- Kills acne-causing bacteria
- Clears-out pores
Disadvantages of Using Proactiv®
- Can cause side-effects especially to those allergic to benzoyl peroxide
- Can cause burning sensation when applied
- Can cause discoloration of fabrics
Although Proactiv® is an over-the counter medication for acne, it is best for people with sensitive skin to consult a doctor first before using it. One can also find helpful information by reading Proactiv reviews from users of this product.