Men and women alike suffer from different types of acne scars. These are skin imperfections that can be annoying especially if the scar is on the face where it is clearly visible. Because of this, many people look for an effective treatment for scars. Some resort to using over-the-counter medications while others use home remedies for acne scars.
Common Types of Acne Marks and Scars
- Boxcar scars – This scar is characterized by its round and oval-shaped appearance with steep vertical sides.
- Keloid scars – Keloid scars looks like a firm mass of tissue that rises on top of the skin. This type of scar often grows larger than the original acne wound.
- Rolling scars – As its name suggests, this type of scar appears like a rolling undulation on the normal skin.
Home Remedies for Acne Scars
- Baking Soda. Baking soda paste which is made from baking soda and water can be a good cure for different types of scars from acne and pimples. It is usually applied topically in the affected area and left for several minutes before rinsing off. It exfoliates the skin and will give a good result after several days of application.
- Lemons. For darker scars, lemon juice is effective for lightening them up. Pure lemon juice can be applied on the acne marks using cotton balls. It should be left for at least 10 minutes before rinsing. It should be done regularly to see the results. However, this remedy can make the treated skin sensitive to the sun.
- Pineapple. Pineapple puree can also be used to help treat the different types of acne marks and scars because of its rich ascorbic acid content. The puree should be applied topically on the affected area and let sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Fenugreek. Powdered fenugreek leaves made into a paste makes an excellent facial mask that can help treat different types of acne marks and scars.
- Olive Oil. Massaging olive oil on the skin everyday can also help reduce acne marks and scars.
- Cucumber. Cucumber keeps the skin smooth and healthy. When applied regularly on acne marks and scars, it can help lighten them up.
- Ice cubes. Many people have also tried using ice cubes to eliminate scars and marks from acne. Ice cubes are usually wrapped in a cloth then rubbed on the affected area for around 10 minutes every day until the result is visible. It is one of the most effective remedy for keloid scars.
- Tea tree oil. Tea tree is also an effective home remedy to reduce the effects of acne marks and scars. It is applied topically directly on the affected area.
- Aloe Vera. This herbal plant is also a popular remedy for any type scars from acne. The juice of aloe vera should be regularly applied on the scar to see results.
These home remedies for acne scars may or may not be effective in healing different types of scars depending on the skin type and other factors. If symptoms become worse, it is always best to consult a doctor to get rid of acne scars.