Acne can make a negative impact in your self-esteem. However, you can avoid suffering from bad acne breakouts by having a healthy acne diet. While there are some myths which say that this or that kind of food causes acne, here are the facts to get you straight on what should and what should not belong in your acne diet.
Foods which are great for acne:
- Whole grains and fiber – Help your body naturally absorb excess oil from your system by upping your intake of whole-grain food and fiber-rich fruits. Include whole-wheat bread, oats, cereals, and fruits such as apricots, prunes, and pineapples to your acne diet.
- Fatty fish – Omega 3 in fish reduces inflammatory tendencies of our bodies which lead to mad red acne spots.
- Nuts – Some say nuts are bad, but no! Nuts happen to be rich in selenium and zinc which are both essential minerals to have clear skin.
- Avocado – Enjoy this tropical fruit which is rich in vitamin E which helps you have glowing, radiant skin.
- Green tea – Rich in antioxidants, you can fight acne-causing toxins by flushing them out of your body with green tea,
- Water – Good old H2O can help flush away toxins in your body, and maintain the suppleness of your skin by cleansing it from the inside at a cellular level. Properly hydrated skin needs less oil. Less oil on your face would mean less acne!
Foods to avoid for your acne diet:
- Caffeine – Cut back on the caffeinated drinks to avoid breakouts. Caffeine may help in spiking up the production of cortisol or the stress hormone, which may in turn give you pimples. Stick to water instead!
- Oily food – Too much oil in your daily intake can contribute to raised insulin levels which may lead to acne breakouts. Also, too much oil in your system leads to a higher fat content which may break out as acne.
- Too much sugar – Regulate your sugar intake and halt your sweet tooth a bit. Too much sugar may cause a rise in insulin levels which causes more sebum to be released. This is what will lead to nasty breakouts.
- Dairy – Fresh milk from cows have hormones which may affect your body and lead to breakouts. Other dairy products like ice cream and cheese have high fat contents which can cause acne to show up on your skin.
- Processed food products – preservatives and other chemicals may cause an imbalance in your hormones which may lead you to have acne breakouts.
Remember these food DOs and DON’Ts to come up with an effective acne diet to help you achieve clearer skin!